It is critically important that seniors take the necessary steps to keep their feet healthy and strong. Often, seniors do not engage in the activity necessary to keep the muscles in their feet strong. As a result, they might be making themselves more vulnerable to suffering foot injuries or enduring a fall from weak feet. To strengthen the feet, senior citizens might consider performing certain foot exercises to improve strength and stability. For example, a senior might massage the feet with a tennis ball and perform ankle circles. As part of a daily foot exercise routine, a senior might also consider performing different toe, foot and ankle stretches. If you are a senior citizen looking to improve strength in the feet, contact a podiatrist today.
Proper foot care is something many older adults forget to consider. If you have any concerns about your feet and ankles, contact Amir Shalev, DPM from Complete Foot & Ankle Care. Our doctor can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
The Elderly and Their Feet
As we age we start to notice many changes in our body, but the elder population may not notice them right away. Medical conditions may prevent the elderly to take notice of their foot health right away. Poor vision is a lead contributor to not taking action for the elderly.
- Neuropathy – can reduce feeling in the feet and can hide many life-threatening medical conditions.
- Reduced flexibility – prevents the ability of proper toenail trimming, and foot cleaning. If left untreated, it may lead to further medical issues.
- Foot sores – amongst the older population can be serious before they are discovered. Some of the problematic conditions they may face are:
- Gouging toenails affecting nearby toe
- Shoes that don’t fit properly
- Pressure sores
- Loss of circulation in legs & feet
- Edema & swelling of feet and ankles
Diabetes and poor circulation can cause general loss of sensitivity over the years, turning a simple cut into a serious issue.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact our office located in Las Vegas, NV . We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot and ankle needs.